Sunday, October 28, 2007

Closing Comments

Uihlein's attempt at a hope-saving birdie chip was juuust a bit outside

I thought they had this thing won. The United States rode Whitsett and Uihlein to the lead after 14 holes at 28-under, but those cheeky Englishmen Gary Boyd and Daniel Willett did what they do: carded six birdies on the back nine to nip the Yanks, 32-under to 30-under.

The number of the day? 71, or 1-under, as in the score for the U.S. gals on Saturday. The English women also shot 71. This after going 8-under yesterday. Everytime I looked up it seemed like T-Joh or Blu was falling to the ground, agonizing over a missed birdie putt.

I guess the carousel goes up and down, and around. The American girls didn't harness the good energy and block out the bad.

Their three bogeys were also tough. They owned it afterwards though, and Joh delivered the quote of the championship.

"Today I went off into the woods, built a treehouse, and tried to start a tribe."

She's awesome, and will no doubt make LPGA writers ridiculously happy someday. But Blu is a lot better than her at sumo wrestling, beating her four out of four times at the Carnival Party afterwards.

Incidentally, I think this may be the first time that my lucky Simpsons boxers didn't work, probably because I wore them on the outside of my boxer briefs. Fumble.

As for the American men all I can say is wow. Uihlein dominated the back nine and our man Whitsett played incredible. It's going to be fun to see what heights Cory can reach. My money is on Emperor of Planet Earth. We can say we knew him when.

Well, that wraps up The 2007 Spirit Live-Blog. Tune in next week for me at the Joe Black Cup Matches in Fredericksburg. (I don't remember what home looks like)

No comments: