Thursday, April 3, 2008

Welcome to the SHO! Part I

Wow, I can't believe SHO week is already here. Seriously, it's APRIL!! I feel like I'm still recovering from Christmas. Apologies for not updating sooner during the week...I also can't believe it's already Thursday.

The Shell is one of the few weeks of the year when we get to cover the professional circuit. It's interesting to see how the national golf media lives. Sometimes it can be pretty messy. Yesterday we all wanted to talk to Phil Mickelson after his pro-am round, but Phil didn't want to come into the media center, and wanted to do his interview outside the scorer's hut. It was drizzling, and us print guys had to jockey for position with the TV vultures. We stood in a semicircle for almost 15 minutes waiting for Phil to finish 18, and complete the autograph guantlet. As soon as Phil stepped into the circle the TV cameras closed like a trap, shutting most of the print guys outside of the circle. I almost lost an arm shoving my recorder through a gap. The TV guys (who only think about golf when they drive by a putt-putt course) asked only six stock questions, including such gems as "With all the attention to (Tiger) do you ever feel like your career is overlooked?" Answer: "Not really." THAaaaaNKS!!!

It was lame. After this week I can't wait to get back to the events where it's just me.

No comments: