Monday, February 4, 2008

See Anything Good Yesterday?


Two things happened yesterday: Tiger Woods won and there was some football game. Because the Dubai Desert Classic is in....Dubai, the tournament's final-round tap delay. I knew the outcome when I sat down to watch, but am glad I did. Tiger made a 25-foot breaking putt for birdie on the 72nd hole to win by one. See his reaction? That's why he's the best. He just won a tournament six days before, and immediately hopped on a 20-hour flight to play another 72 holes against the best in the world. He could be forgiven for mailing it in, but no. He's so fired up when he makes that putt that he looks like he's about to turn green and start busting heads.

I tried in vain to find video of the putt, I guess you'll have to settle for the 40-foot monster breaker birdie he made at the Buick that dropped in the back of the hole.

Meanwhile, Ernie Els' heart promptly jumped out of his chest and staggered away just like in that Super Bowl ad. Seriously, what was with all the gross ads? Between that one and the puking baby I could barely hold down my queso and chicken. But I managed.

By the way, did you hear that Ian Poulter declared himself as Tiger's main rival? To paraphrase the interview he gave to UK's Golf World magazine, he said that when he finally plays how he's capable of playing, "it'll just be me and Tiger." B'Okay. I appreciate Poulter's moxie, and Woods didn't sound too ticked about. But that didn't stop Woods from zinging him.

A final word about Woods. The Super Bowl got me thinking about how everyone in the media is practically giving Tiger the Grand Slam. Kind of like how everyone was giving the Patriots 19-0 a week ago, isn't it? Bobby Jones was the greatest golfer of all time. He played in 21 major championships, won 13 of them, and retired at age 28. Yet even he had to get pretty lucky to pull off his 1930 Grand Slam. Trivia time: during the 1930 British Amateur at St. Andrews Jones' approach to the 17th bounced off the green and was heading out of bounds before it hit a spectator. His match was all square, and because of the lucky break, Jones was able to halve the hole and eventually won on the 19th.

Woods' so-so play during the second and third round showed that he's not perfect, which is what you need to be to win the Grand Slam. That, or lucky.
----------------------------------------------------------------

My Dad and I finally booked our trips to San Diego for the U.S. Open. Here's a photo of our hotel on Google Maps Streetview.



See that white sign on the street in front of the hotel? ZOOM IN!!!


I love technology.



No comments: